Women need to feel loved, and men need to feel respected. This may explain why Paul wrote in Ephesians 5:33 that a husband must love his wife and a wife must respect her husband. Both commands are unconditional. The hard part is that respect comes more easily to men, and love comes easier to women.
The Lord intended for marriage between a man and a woman to reflect His character
- partnership between one man and one woman
- Marriage is the firmest foundation for building a family
- God designed sexual expression to help married couples build intimacy.
- Submitting to one another as we submit to the Lord
Marriage mirrors God’s covenant relationship with His people. Mutual love and respect within a marriage reflects to a lost world a demonstration of I Cor. 13 at its best. Love is patient, kind, love does not envy; parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil, does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails
How does a wife show respect?
- Invite his opinion where you might have made a decision without him in the past
- Affirm him, tell him how much you appreciate his strengths
- Speak well of him to others
- Believe in him
- Believe the best about him
- Need him. Let him know that you need him in your life
- In conflict, speak respectfully to him even when you disagree
- Reflect back the words he has communicated to you to let him know that you have heard him
How does a man show love to his wife
- Touch her lovingly and non-sexually on a regular basis
- Talk to her daily, listen to her heart and her feelings
- Listen to her without trying to solve a problem
- Speak lovingly of her to others
- Stay in touch with her throughout your day with an occasional text, email, or phone call
- In conflict, affirm your love for her and reflect back the words she has communicated to you. This will help her feel heard.
Love and respect coming from both parties is essential for a happy, successful marriage.